Some of you might have noticed some slight layout changes over the last couple of weeks. I’m far from a real webdesigner and I’m far from done with the changes I want to make over here (gotta have some help in the future, so let me know if you can recommend someone!), but I realized I’ve never written a proper post about how I want my blog to look like and why (and how you can use it). So here it is!
As so many bloggers out there, I want my layout to be simple, clean and white, grey and black (in that order). However, contrary to what some people might think, there can be huge differences in style between blogs that are all simple, clean, and white. Personally, I’m extremely picky when it comes to font and font size, lines and buttons, navigation options, side bars, links, etc., you name it and I have an opinion about it. In this respect, there’s a lot I still wanna change over here. Personally, I’m in love with the layout of Aline (even though mine should be in white, and I miss a menu… or not? Ah well, never mind), that of Anne Solveig (even though I miss the sidebar), and that of Alyssa (even though I do not want my posts to appear in blocks next to each other). And that’s to name just a few. But since every layout has something I don’t like, it’s hard to buy a predesigned WordPress theme online. I guess I really need my own webdesigner, haha!
I once designed my header in Paint (HAHA, don’t laugh at me) and it needs a serious remake. I still like the ‘subtitle’ a personal style diary, ‘cause it seems to encapsulate a little more than just fashion. This is great, ‘cause Merely Merel is not only about fashion, but also about lifestyle and travelstyle (and interior and stationary and studying and all those things that define my style). The feather obviously relates to my name, giving it a personal touch. Still, I’d love to somehow incorporate all of this more into a logo. Examples of great logos, I think, are the ones of DeBrosse (only letters, but the ‘O’ is an abstraction of a skein of wool, so simple!) and the one of Wintervacht (especially considering their ‘subtitle’ draag schaap).
Recently, I added my Instagram feed to my header. I stole this idea from Fleur Sophia (who doesn’t have this anymore, haha, but I noticed Anne Solveig has it too, so I think I subconsciously remembered that as well). I’m trying very hard to create an IG feed that matches the whites, greys and blacks in my mind, life, wardrobe and blog, so I think it’s a cool idea to feature that prominently. Besides, since Merely Merel is mostly about photos (instead of text), IG is my most important social media channel. Also, by making sure one of the five IG pics featured shows me, I don’t have to put up a picture of myself in the sidebar (which gets easily outdated).
My menu is far from complete yet, but I still wanna tell you my intentions. From left to right:
- Home naturally links to the homepage, the page you get to see when you enter merely-merel.nl in your browser.
- About is about me and my blog. I updated it for the last time almost a year ago, so it needs a little refreshment, but it’s still more or less accurate!
- Categories forms a drop-down menu with all the categories I attach to my blogposts. When you click on it, it should (very soon) open a page where I explain what all the categories are about, but that’s still under construction.
- The same goes for social media, that one forms a drop-down menu as well and when you click on one of the media, it’ll automatically refer you to it. When you click on social media itself, it will soon come up with a page explaining you what kind of updates I post where. I’m still figuring out how to use my social media at best, so this is very much under construction.
- Shop my closet showcases all items I’m currently selling, with links to their ‘Marktplaats’ adds.
- Day zero project needs some hard work, ‘cause I got less than a year left, but I’m still planning on finishing as much as possible.
- Collaborations is new and features all posts I wrote in collaboration with companies/other bloggers, links included. I’m planning on elaborating this page with descriptions and photos, but it is mostly to inform future collab-partners about what is possible on Merely Merel.
- Finally, Press needs a serious update, but here I’m trying to keep track of what others write about my blog. Please let me know if you did, ‘cause I think that’s so cool!
Besides the just mentioned removal of a picture of me, there are some more changes in the sidebar. The social media buttons are still there, as well as the tags, which are used to label posts more precisely than is possible with the categories (for example, a post categorized as outfit can be tagged with H&M, dungarees and style diary to subdivide them into more specific kinds of outfit posts). The categories itself, which are now in the menu, are gone from the sidebar. Obvisouly, you can still search Merely Merel via the search option or via the archives. New in the sidebar is the slider featuring my wishlist. This idea I stole from Lucy, but of course many others have it on their blogs as well. I used to keep track of my wishlist in a text file on my laptop, but why not share this permanently with you guys? I also use this slider to chose from when I earn enough money with shop my closet to get myself something new. This way, I don’t spend money on impulse purchases.
Well, that’s about it! Let me know if you have any questions, in case you know a real cool webdesigner or when you have ideas about improving my layout even further, I’d love to know!